Monday, April 29, 2013

Stenocarpus Sinuatus Fire Wheel Tree




       
Margaret Preston
Wheelflower 
[Stenocarpus wheelflower Australian]
1929

This woodblock has been one of my favourite Australian art works for a very long time. Up until two weeks ago, I had only ever seen the real flowers once when they were cut. However, two weeks ago I found a tree during one of my walks close to home. 
 
I went back today to 'harvest' some of the seeds, which I hope I can germinate and grow. 
I collected some of the dead flowers with, hopefully, an abundance of seeds to sow. 
http://cs.nga.gov.au/Detail.cfm?IRN=28961



The tree hides its blooms well. I have driven past e tree many times but only saw the flowers while walking. Yet again, 'Blink n you miss it'!












3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous flowering tree. Is it in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Birdie....if only I had a garden large enough to have one! It is in West St North Sydney opposite Ridge St. I'd like to germinate the seeds though and perhaps plant one in a nearby park. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful tree. Bees love the flowers, as do honeyeaters. We have a framed poster print of the Margaret Preston woodblock.

    I enjoy walking around for the same reason - you see so many wonderful things that you miss driving past.

    ReplyDelete